During the last few months, we have seen plenty of discussion about text-generating AI chatbots like ChatGPT. We have also seen many different kinds of affects and emotions connected to these tools. People are curious, suspicious, intrigued, or maybe even afraid of what our future will be like. Therefore, we need hope. In this editorial we want to stress the importance of hope and argue that people should not be left alone with suspicion, fear and doubt about how technology will change their future.
Metrics Loading ...
- Barad, Karen. (2007). Meeting the universe halfway. quantum physics and the entanglement of matter and meaning. Durham & London: Duke University Press. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctv12101zq
- Boyd, Danah. (2014). It’s complicated. The social lives of networked teens. New Haven & London: Yale University Press.
- Bruininks, P., & Malle, B. F. (2005). Distinguishing hope from optimism and related affective states. Motivation and Emotion, 29 (4), 327-355. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11031-006-9010-4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11031-006-9010-4
- Hage, Ghassan, & Dimitris Papadopoulos. (2004). Migration, hope and the making of subjectivity in transnational capitalism. International Journal for Critical Psychology, 12, 95-117.
- Lavis, Anna, & Winter, Rachel. (2020). #Online harms or benefits? An ethnographic analysis of the positives and negatives of peer-support around self-harm on social media. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 61(8), 842–854. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.13245 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.13245
- Miyazaki, Hirokazu. (2004). The method of hope. Anthropology, philosophy and Fijian knowledge. Stanford University Press. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/9781503624429
- Ortner, Sherry B. (2016). Dark anthropology and its others. Theory since the eighties. HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory, 6(1), 47-73. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14318/hau6.1.004
- Snyder, Charles R. (2002). Hope theory: rainbows in the mind. Psychological Inquiry, 13(4), 249-275. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1304_01. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1304_01
- Stokel-Walker, Chris. (2023). ChatGPT listed as author on research papers. Nature, 613 (7945), 620-621. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-023-00107-z
- Tikkanen, Kaija. (2012). 15–20-vuotiaiden nuorten toivo, sen ylläpitäminen ja vahvistaminen. Tampere: Tampereen yliopisto.
- University News 30.1.2023. (2023). Jyväskylä University School of Business and Economics allows the use of artificial intelligence in studies. Retrieved April 23, 2023, from https://www.jyu.fi/en/current/archive/2023/01/jyvaskyla-university-school-of-business-and-economics-allows-the-use-of-artificial-intelligence-in-studies