Modern visionaries claim supernatural abilities to artificial intelligence. Artificial intelligence has been attributed artistic skills, including those related to the visual arts. Is artificial intelligence a creator, or maybe it is the creators of algorithms who have to be creative, whose imagination is then transformed into works-of-art by a computer program? How are the rules that create aesthetic compositions created? Can we measure aesthetics? This article addresses the above questions by illustrating them with examples of visual arts created by intelligent algorithms.
- Amato, G., Behrmann, M., Bimbot, F., Caramiaux, B., Falchi, F., Garcia, A., ... & Vincent, E. (2019). AI in the media and creative industries. arXiv preprint arXiv:1905.04175.
- Barad, K. (2007) Meeting the unverse half way. Quantum Physics and the entanglement of matter and meaning.
- Barnsley, M. F., Devaney, R. L., Mandelbrot, B. B., Peitgen, H. O., Saupe, D., Voss, R. F., ... & McGuire, M. (1988). The science of fractal images (pp. xiv+-312). New York: Springer.
- Boden, M. A. (2009). Computer models of creativity. AI Magazine, 30(3), 23.
- Boden, M. A. (2004). The creative mind: Myths and mechanisms. Routledge.
- Boden, M. A. (1998). Creativity and artificial intelligence. Artificial intelligence, 103(1-2), 347-356.
- Cohen, H. (1982). How to make a drawing. In talk given to the Science Colloquium, National Bureau of Standards, Washington DC (Vol.17).
- Ahmed Elgammal, Bingchen Liu, Mohamed Elhoseiny, Marian Mazzone. CAN: Creative Adversarial Networks Generating "Art" by Learning About Styles and Deviating from Style Norms
- Fuge, M., Stroud, J., & Agogino, A. (2013, August). Automatically inferring metrics for design creativity. In International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (Vol. 55928, p. V005T06A010). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Leon A. Gatys, Alexander S. Ecker, Matthias Bethge. Image Style Transfer Using Convolutional Neural Networks. ECCV 2016
- Gervás, P. (2009). Computational approaches to storytelling and creativity. AI Magazine, 30(3), 49-49.
- Gdawiec, K. (2013, September). Aesthetic Patterns from the Perturbed Orbits of Discrete Dynamical Systems. In IFIP International Conference on Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management (pp. 358-366), Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Gdawiec, K., Kotarski, W., & Lisowska, A. (2015, February). Polynomiography based on the nonstandard Newton-like root finding methods. In Abstract and Applied Analysis (Vol. 2015), Hindawi.
- Gdawiec, K. (2017). Switching processes in polynomiography. Nonlinear Dynamics, 87(4), 2235-2249.
- Michaël Gharbi, Jiawen Chen, Jonathan T. Barron, Samuel W. Hasinoff, Frédo Durand, Deep Bilateral Learning for Real-Time Image Enhancement, ArXiv:1707.02880v2
- J. Goodfellow, Jean Pouget-Abadie, Mehdi Mirza, Bing Xu, David Warde-Farley, Sherjil Ozair, Aaron Courville, and Yoshua Bengio. 2014. Generative adversarial nets. In Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems - Volume 2 (NIPS'14)
- Ha, D., & Eck, D. (2017). A neural representation of sketch drawings. arXiv preprint arXiv:1704.03477.
- Haraway, D. (2004). The Haraway Reader. London: Routledge.
- Höppner, G., Urban, M. (2018). Where and How Do Ageing Processes Take Place in Everyday Life? Answers from a New Materialist Perspective. Frontiers in Sociology, 3(7). https://doi.org/10.3389/fsoc.2018.00007.
- Kalantari, B. (2005). Polynomiography: from the fundamental theorem of Algebra to art. Leonardo, 38(3), 233-238.
- Lamb, C., Brown, D. G., & Clarke, C. L. (2017). A taxonomy of generative poetry techniques. Journal of Mathematics and the Arts, 11(3), 159-179.
- Lindenmayer A. (1974) L-systems in their biological context. Proceedings of conference on "Biologically motivated automata theory", McLean, Virginia.
- Maher, M. L., & Fisher, D. H. (2012). Using AI to evaluate creative designs. In DS 73-1 Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Design Creativity Volume 1.
- Perlin, K. (2002, July). Improving noise. In Proceedings of the 29th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques (pp. 681-682).
- Rautio, P. (2014). Mingling and Imitating in Producing Spaces for Knowing and Being: Insights From a Finnish Study of Child–Matter Intra-Action. Childhood, 21(4), 461–474.
- Ritchie, G. (2009). Can computers create humor? AI Magazine, 30(3), 71-71.
- Zhicheng Yan, Hao Zhang, Baoyuan Wang, Sylvain Paris, Yizhou Yu, Automatic Photo Adjustment Using Deep Neural Networks, arXiv:1412.7725v2
- Raymond A. Yeh, Chen Chen, Teck Yian Lim, Alexander G. Schwing, Mark Hasegawa-Johnson, Minh N. Do, Semantic Image Inpainting with Deep Generative Models, arXiv:1607.07539
- Zeilinger, M. (2021). Tactical Entanglements: AI Art, Creative Agency, and the Limits of Intellectual Property, Lüneburg, Meson Press.